Since childhood, masks have symbolized the ultimate, grown-up beauty indulgence to me. This is a little weird, admittedly, since they’re really just mud or clay or mystery goop that you smear all over your face. Something about them, though, seemed quite glamorous and magical when I was a kid. I would imagine putting on a cool, slick cream and then peeling it away to reveal brand new skin. Ta-da!
As an adult, I realize that my youthful impression was a bit exaggerated, but I’ve also learned through the years that facial masks really can make a big difference in the quality of your skin.
And so, after much rigorous testing, I’ve compiled the following list of my favorite beauty masks to fit every budget and many skin situations. I’ll even reveal a two-step ritual that, ‘til now, has been a closely-held secret of DFW Style Daily Editor, Lisa Petty.
1. Best In Show: Boscia Luminizing Black Mask
This mask is wonderful for normalizing all types of skin, pulling double duty by unclogging pores and boosting radiance. It also contains Witch Hazel, which will help reduce breakouts after use. In addition, at $34 for 2.8 oz., it’s a pretty good bang for the buck. And the best part? It’s a peel-off. That is, once it dries, you just peel it off and look fabulous! All this adds up to top honors on my list.
2. Best Oh No, What Have I Done? Recovery: Hard Night, Good Morning Detox Mineral Masque
From local beauty mogul D’Andra Simmons, this mask is soothing and cooling and left my skin noticeably tighter and less oily. Plus, with all sorts of fancy stuff in it like Kaoline, Bentonite and Sapindus Mukurossi Fruit Extract, you’d also expect it to cost more than its $25.99 pricetag. And so, hypothetically, if you were to wake up one morning less beautiful than usual, for some unknown reason, this mask is the perfect choice to perk you up and get you on your way to feeling much better.
3. Best All-Around Classic: Mario Badescu Calma Mask
Excellent for dry, oily, normal, or combination skin, this mask will lessen any redness or flaking and reduce the chance of breakouts. It’s not the best smelling of the bunch (think Grandma’s basement), but it feels wonderful on your skin. At 2 0z. for $22, it can be used up to three times a week, and you’ll definitely see results – even with issues like Rosacea.
4. Best Rock Star Treatment: GlamGlow Mud Mask
GlamGlow has received a lot of press in recent years, but all of the Hollywood hype is true. I have never encountered a mask that does as much work at this one. For 15 minutes, its combination of volcanic rock, green tea leaves, and French sea clay will burn the heck out of your face. Then, after rinsing, you’ll notice that your skin is baby soft, even-toned, and that any lines have been minimized. This glow is pricey, however, to the tune of $69 per tub.
5. Best Homemade Treatment: The Lisa Petty Special
Finally, as promised, I got my hands on DFW Style Daily Editor Lisa Petty’s favorite at-home skin remedy. After trying it out, I knew I had to share this easy, effective, and affordable recipe. But, don’t tell her you heard it from me.
You will need: one large egg, a bowl, a whisk, honey, and a washcloth.
1. First, crack the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Discard the yolk and whisk the white until frothy.
2. Apply the frothy egg white liberally to your face and try not to think about how gross it feels. Read DFWStyleDaily.com as you wait for it to dry completely. It will become tight and itchy, which means it’s working.
3. Once the egg is dry, rinse it off, using a wash cloth if necessary. If you’re like me, you’ll then discover that your pores are noticeably smaller and your skin is firmer.
4. Next, it’s time for the honey. Grab a brush, a cotton pad, or use your fingers to smooth a thin, golden layer all over your face.
5. Let the honey set for 15 minutes, then wipe away the excess with a paper towel before rinsing completely with water. Again, I can report that the results are remarkable. The honey left my skin smooth, with a nice rosy glow on my cheeks.
(Photo credits, from top: Lead image via Health24.com, 1. BosciaSkincare.com, 2. HardNightGoodMorning.com, 3. GlamGlowMud.com, 4. MarioBadescu.com, 5. DFW Style Daily)