Why not think outside the basic black box this party season?
Shopping guru Rhonda Sargent Chambers suggests you ditch your L.B.D. for one of these hot new picks.
My favorite alternatives to the traditional cocktail frock are inspired by the ‘70s and the ‘30s this year.
Choose a tuxedo jacket, sans shirt, to show off your favorite long strand of pearls and your lovely décolleté. Or leave your legs to the imagination in a long maxi skirt or pajama pant. Add Chanel red lip and a beaded clutch and your vintage-inspired holiday look is complete.
1. This ‘Jagz’ silk blend velvet dress by Marc by Marc Jacobs from Neiman Marcus ($698) falls at such a cool, of-the-moment mid-calf length.
2. A must-have Rachel Zoe tux jacket from Nordstrom ($425) is textured and tailored. Wear it over jeans or slacks.
3. I found these snakeskin print harem pants ($109) at Singer22. They look so chic with biker boots!
4. From my favorite online shopping destination, Net-a-Porter, this effortless electric green maxi skirt ($1,215) is by Serbian-born designer Roksanda Illincic.
5. Tibi’s shimmering halter gown from Shopbop ($375) would look smashing paired with gold nail polish. Complete the ‘70s-style look with a black tuxedo blazer.
6. Finally, at Anthropologie, I found this fabulous and unusual skirt ($298) made of beaded wool felt in an Aztec print.
(Photo credits, from top: 1. NeimanMarcus.com, 2. Shop.Nordstrom.com, 3. Singer22.com, 4. Net-a-Porter.com, 5. Shopbop.com, 6. Anthropologie.com)