Call it a cape, a poncho, or a cloak. No matter the name, it’s the hottest thing in outerwear this season.
Rhonda Sargent Chambers wraps up her top picks, after the jump.
Also known as wraps, wrap-vests, cloaks, capes, and capelets, my preferred term for this season’s top trend in cover-ups is ‘poncho’. It just sounds so boho chic! Fabulously effortless, these last-minute toppers will become staple items in your winter wardrobe.
When it comes to shopping, it’s easy to find ponchos in Nordic or Navajo-inspired prints. But what if we dig a little deeper? This week, I also looked into creative, unexpected fabrics and styling.
And speaking of the unexpected, do not limit your pairings with a poncho. Sure, they’re ideal for casual wear, but they can also be dressed up for the evening with a flowing maxi dress or even a cigarette pant.
With this versatility in mind, let’s proceed with my picks.
1. Practically military, I love the slash pockets on this L’Agence tweed cape from Saks Fifth Avenue ($425).
2. Tangerine will be one of the favored colors for Spring 2012.
Wear this mohair blend poncho by VPL from Barneys New York ($395) right now to show your forward-thinking fashion sense.
3. This rockin’ Anna Sui beaded capelet ($710) from Net-a-Porter is also perfect both now and later, featuring opulent ‘20s-era detailing.
4. Gently-priced and comfortable, this vintage sweater poncho ($109) from Urban Outfitters combines fringe, a rope tie waist, and red embroidery.
5. Finally, a ‘70s-style poncho top from Forever 21 ($32.80) is a steal. It’s available in the orange and brown shades shown, as well as a green-toned knit.
(Photo credits, from top: 1. SaksFifthAvenue.com, 2. Barneys.com, 3. Net-a-Porter.com, 4. UrbanOutfitters.com, 5. Forever21.com)