Today, shopping guru Rhonda Sargent Chambers takes on outerwear for a variety of style personalities. From trenches to puffers to fabulous fur, Rhonda has your cool weather needs all bundled up.
The arrival of fall, along with a welcome change in our North Texas weather, makes this the perfect time to explore current outerwear options. Coats and jackets this season evoke both old Hollywood glamour as well as a modern sensibility, suiting a wide range of tastes.
But first, a short lesson in “coat” versus “jacket” terminology.
For starters, coats are more substantial in weight – the better to fight off the chill. Jackets, on the other hand, are made of thinner fabrics, and can be worn as an ensemble with suits, dresses, or separates.
Key to remember is that outerwear is no longer simply functional. Choices right now show us that these cover pieces can be attention-grabbing wardrobe essentials with distinct personalities all their own.
1. This soft lamb fur jacket from Plume by Sprung Fréres ($1,055, Farfetch) features notched lapels and a concealed magnetic front closure. It comes complete with a skinny leather belt.
2. Rag & Bone’s Sackville ($895, Net-a-Porter) is a clever twist on the classic motorcycle jacket. Its plaid accents are right on-trend for fall 2011.
3. Diane Von Furstenberg’s Mikhaila coat ($745, Intermix) is available in either apple red or soft snow white (on preorder). Either color would show wardrobe staying power for years to come.
4. This perfectly British peacoat by Burberry ($995, Nordstrom), is such a great color to pair with beautiful fall shades of Bordeaux and Rosé.
5. Wink’s Tiffany jacket ($345, Planet Blue) combines faux fur and suede. Pair it with your favorite fall boots and an oversized vintage tee for instant cool-weather chic.
6. Finally, the Wintress puffer ($248, J. Crew) comes in black, green, and two shades of grey. Contrary to the name, it’s a great option to show off your figure while keeping out the cold.
(Photo credits, from top: 1. Farfetch.com, 2. Net-a-Porter.com, 3. IntermixOnline.com, 4. Shop.Nordstrom.com, 5. ShopPlanetBlue.com, 6. JCrew.com)