Rhonda Sargent Chambers is DFW Style Daily’s go-to gal for seasonal, trend-inspired shopping advice. Her weekly series continues today with fall’s hottest leather looks. This goes way beyond the basic bomber.
Fall and leather go hand in hand, and come August, new and luxurious merchandise floods into the stores. I always browse these fresh arrivals, but find myself waiting to buy, reasoning that temps are still over 100 degrees.
It never fails, then, that when I return in September, knowing that frisky weather is just around the corner, some earlier shopper has yanked my lovely leather finds from under me! This year, hot weather notwithstanding, I advise we fully embrace shopping for leather right now.
To that end, I’ve highlighted half a dozen trend-perfect leather items for fall 2011. This season, the goods go way beyond basic bomber jackets. But you don’t have to take my word for it:
1. I love this ‘50s Mad Men – style pleated swing skirt by Robert Rodriguez. It falls at the perfect length for fall 2011. I suggest wearing it with a white menswear shirt. ($795, from Neiman Marcus)
2. This leather dress by Tibi is modern and stunning in cognac red. ($1,100, from Tibi New York)
3. I stalk Barney’s online, and my favorite recent find is this incredible pair of skinny pants by Joseph. ($1,175, from Barneys New York)
4. Alice + Olivia’s swingy pleated skirt in distressed grey is selling fast. The company says they can barely keep up with the reorders, even if it is still over 100 degrees! ($495, from Net-a-Porter)
5. Tuxedo jackets are cool for fall, but take it a step further with 7 For All Mankind’s cropped, leather version. ($297, from Bluefly)
6. Finally, my “Thou Shall Not Covet” piece for the season (drum roll please…) is Derek Lam’s red-sleeved lambskin jacket. Yum. ($2,490, from Bergdorf Goodman)
(photo credits, from top: 1. NeimanMarcus.com, 2. Tibi.com, 3. Barneys.com, 4. Net-a-Porter.com, 5. Bluefly.com, 6. BergdorfGoodman.com)