Rhonda Sargent Chambers’ Insider Shopping series continues with a hot, ‘70’s-twinged trend. Read on for her top picks in fall flares – your platforms never had it so good.
Envision Bianca Jagger in 1972, walking briskly down the streets of SoHo. Or cue up a scene featuring Ali MacGraw from the 1970 hit Love Story, and you’ll have an idea of the inspiration behind fall’s wide leg pant trend. Low and high-hipped flares need to be on your ‘must have’ list for the coming season, but the flower child favorites have been updated in luxe fabrics for 2011.
Below I’ve selected five of my very favorite fall flares. Dress them up or down, for an evening out or daytime lunch. But first, let’s shop:
1. These Marrakesh Velvet Flares by MiH are just plain hot. ($272, from My-Wardrobe.com)
2. At Saks Fifth Avenue I found a pair of saucy Gucci stretch velvet flare pants in a gorgeous grey London fog tone. ($795, from Saks Fifth Avenue)
3. J Brand’s ‘Ali’ high rise stretch corduroy pants in terracotta just might be my top pick of the bunch. So very ‘70s! ($218, from Nordstrom)
4. Tory Burch presents the coolest-ever velvet tuxedo pant in the daring color of berry red. ($350, from ToryBurch.com)
5. Last but not least, Net-A-Porter is my favorite online shopping destination. This time around, I found these Theyskens’ Theory mid-rise flared corduroy pants in what may be the chicest color for fall. ($295, from Net-a-Porter.com)